Re: Serdrosa Digest Number 263

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 13:39:08 -0400

> Roderick:
>
> >All male heortling spirit talkers are of the Kolat tradition,
> >all female spirit talkers are of the Serdrosa (Earth Witch) tradition.
>
> Somewhat unfair, isn't it? I mean Serdrosa is misapplied worship but
> Kolat isn't. This shifts the 'balance of power' among heortling animists
> heavily towards the males. The Orlanth/Vinga and Ernalda/Nandan situation
> is more equal.

> Jonas Schi�tt
> G�teborg
>

>From a purely mythic standpoint, its acceptable. Kolat is not a god but
is Orlanth's pldest brother. Kolat's a great spirit. I am sure that there are Great Earth spirits out there to be worshipped but in the Storm oriented traditions of the Heortlings, Kolat's easier found and contacted.

I could make a case for Asrelia being defiant due to Underworld connections but I'd rather not get into those waters. (and keep thinking of the Justreli Vice saga anyways). And, on the whole, the Herotling women seem to have a more solid/centralized worship structure (the extensive Earth Tribe) that provides their needs rather than the more specialized and just plain wierd stuff the menfolk get up to. Kolat's all well and good but would you want your daughter marrying one?

Perhaps, as I'd said in Clan Keywords, YOUR clan has a small tradition of That Rock Over There That Talks and uses it as their focus for shamanistic practices. Or they just misapply worship to the boulder and get a feat called Watchfulness (hi Dave!)...

And, you know, sometimes life *isn't* fair. Just ask the poor mooks who wants to follow Little Brother out on the Plaines of Prax.

Jeff