on shields

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 21:38:41 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Wulf Corbett wrote:

<snip>
> shield. If you learn 'Sword & Shield Combat', the shield shouldn't
> make your skill worse, your skill is based on having the shield.
>
> Secondly, I still think shields are far more useful than that. A good
> shield user can basically just put his shield in the way and keep a
> poor attacker at bay, in a way he could not do without the shield (I
> just saw it done, in a live roleplaying mass battle). Shields can stop
> you dead from hurting an opponent. I would suggest the following
> (admittedly extreme) rule:
>
> Shield use: Bonus +3 to defence (+5 for a Roman-type big shield), Edge
> ^5 if hit
>
> therefore, it's bloody hard to hit (without multiple attacker
> penalties), and even if you hit, you have to expend more effort (AP)
> to get through/past the shield. Now... my own argument, above, is
> against the bonus to defences for using a shield just as it's against
> the penalty to attacks, so I'd be prepared to drop the +3 bonus. The
> ^5 for the shield isn't so much armour, as the extra effort needed to
> get around it.
>
> Wulf

I know the effect you are thinking about Wulf, but live game and reenactment shields tend to differ a lot from real shields, namely they don't weigh nearly as much.

Large shields are good for shieldwalls, and defending agains missile weapons. An aggressive fighter in a free melee would want nothing bigger than a target shield. Here's what I use in an improved RQ system

		Against projectiles/		Free melee/
		in shieldwall			Duel
		(bonus)				(maximum skill)

		- 20	Buckler			---
		+ 0	Target			100
		+20	Viking round		80
		+40	Troll / Hoplite		60

This is what I use, after a lot of tought and researsh. Shields are a complicated issue.

A large shield gives you good coverage, but is slow to move about and your opponent can use the blind zone it creates for you.

  ---

Oh, and I would let sword and shield / spear and shield skill to be used to parry arrows and such. Works well with the suggested simple contest usage, with even a bonus for using a large Viking (orlanthi?) style shield (+2), or a huge hoplite shield (+4).

        -Adept