Re: on shields

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 20:49:50 +0100

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 22:26:51 +0300 (EET DST), Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_utu.fi> wrote:

>We disagree there then Wulf. Would you like to fight with a hoplite
>shield then, if I challenged you into a duel.
>
>My broadsword & target shield vs. Your broadsword & hoplite shield

Sure, I have no problems there, I've tried it (medaeval 'barn door' shield, rather than hoplite). But, as I said before, this is not a matter of visibility, but of inappropriate equipment. Hoplite shields are meant to be used in mass tactics. They do not create blind spots, as you hold them close to the body, and can look over the top. Target shields are more likely to blind you, as more energetic types make the mistake of blocking high blows with them, blinding themselves. Also, you do NOT use a broadsword with a hoplite shield, you use a thrusting weapon like a spear or stabbing sword, so the shield does not interfere with the weapon, even in a shieldwall. Again, appropriate equipment.

Wulf