Re: Bobs Bisonburgers of Death

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 16:22:40 EDT

Loren Miller
<< I work with a lot of electricians. If they occasionally fumbled at ordinary  electrical work on a 600V 150A panel when rushed (requiring a roll), then  they all eventually would be electrocuted. They aren't. Thus... journeyman  status for an electrician must require a level of skill that prevents  fumbles from ever happening. >>

Me
I work wih a lot of stock controllers and production schedulers. If they occasionally fumbled at ordinary scheduling work we would all experience stock outs and overstocks. We do. Thus... all stock controllers are absolute nincompoops who have a level of skill that means that none of them can make a living - nonsense.

Are Robin Laws or Greg Stafford less then 1W games designers because there are a few flaws in some of their games?

Do most countries have health and safety type laws because basic competence it not generally enough to avoid occasional outbreaks of salmonella poisoning, industrial accidents, horrible food in restaurants, etc etc.

My point is that HW is not a simulation of Glorantha, but a simulation of Heroic fiction set in Glorantha. The results are to provide narrative tension and excitement, not to calculate the death rate from undercooked zebra burgers stored in Bobs Bisonburgers basement for three days.

Keith N