Re: on shields

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 22:18:05 +0100

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:06:57 +0300 (EET DST), Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_utu.fi> wrote:

>Not at all Wulf. I meant that you need a different shield for different
>situations. If one just says "the bigger the shield, the bigger the
>bonus" as I saw suggested earlier, then one is ignoring much about
>shields. There are situations where a large shield is handy, and others,
>where it will be a serious nuisanse.

Well, we agree fundamentally then. Yes, I do say the bigger the better, but only in realistic and suitable techniques. We're back to Indy and the Swordsman, Oscar & the Troll, suitable defences against a given attack. Use a Hoplite shield in an open melee, and you deserve to be surrounded and butchered. Use a buckler in a sheildwall and you won't last long. The equipment and technique must match, just like any exchange. Sword and shield implies a target shield, Sheildwall implies a big shield.

>Too bad we can't actually have a duel. I'd love to get to do some proper
>swordplay again (I'm a bit low on opponents here).

I stick to LRP now, fewer bruises and better looking women :)

Wulf