Re: on shields

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:52:50 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> given attack. Use a Hoplite shield in an open melee, and you deserve
> to be surrounded and butchered. Use a buckler in a sheildwall and you
> won't last long.

Verily.

> The equipment and technique must match, just like any
> exchange. Sword and shield implies a target shield, Sheildwall implies
> a big shield.

We are in agreement here.

> >Too bad we can't actually have a duel. I'd love to get to do some proper
> >swordplay again (I'm a bit low on opponents here).
>
> I stick to LRP now, fewer bruises and better looking women :)

Oh definitely. I don't like SCA fighting myself. Too stiff and chivalrous, light weapons and heavy armor leads to odd things too. (And you are right about the ladies too :) :) )

My favorite is taking (rather heavy) padded weapons into a dojo, and fighting on tatami. One dare's to try stuff there, one would not othervice.

        -Adept