Re: Herding Sheep

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 02:36:28 -0000

> rescue them tomorrow) and a Major or Complete defeat will loose
sheep
> permanently.

Perhaps injuring a sheep and loosing a sheep. I'd then point out all those lovely bible stories about going and finding the lost sheep.

Hey, if its good enough for Moses, its good enough for Gunnar Heortlander.

> (I'd distinguish between Complete and Major results by the time or
> number of sheep lost)

I can think of more imaginitive and amusing things to go wrong than just 'oops, a sheep falls off a cliff' but that's me.

> A character with a "Professional" skill of 17 will get the sheep
back
> 84% and permanently loose some 4.25% of the time

This indicates that only 1 day in 25 (once a month) will you have a severe problem (and I'd note that you'd lumped Major and Complete failure together) One severe problem. A month. That's great. I wish I had such a record...

That's damned fine. And yes, one can lose sheep that often -- that's why we shepherds have alynxes, whistle up the sheep feats and the Find
Lost Sheep feat for when we DO lose one (about once a month)

> A character with a single mastery (1W) only permanently looses sheep
> once in every 400 times (so less than once per year). He has a 92%
> chance of bringing all the sheep home and a 6% chance of getting
them
> back early.

I'm thinking that your math is wrong for the getting them back early but I'd rather not get into the excruciating math arguments again. Afterall, I have a bump up.

> Finally the Voirof Devotee Master shepherd with 8W2 never looses
sheep
> permanently (under these conditions) - in fact it is only 1 time in
400
> he fails to bring them all home. 29% of the time he has his sheep
home
> early.

Um, its a bit better than that, afterall. I have a bump up. ANd remember he's a devotee with all that lovely Voriof Godtalker Goodness (tm).

> Now I'm not really sure what this proves (other than if you want
your

I think you've maybe got your bump ups working wrong. And, of course, the number of sheep might kake a difference too.

> the years the resistance will change , and you may be able to
augment
> your herding with other skills, affinities or followers/friends
(herding
> Alynx, young sons, Wind Child allies, Vingan Trollkin....) in some
> circumstances (If you make the followers roll...)
> --

That's why we let the pros do the work and assist them, I think. Even
a 'mere' 17 does well when you factor in folks helping (good for a few
plusses or at least augmenting the principle's ability) let alne trained alynxes.

Jeff