Re: phalanx vs. legion

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:49:42 -0000

> The romans won with combined arms, and often superior manpower. I
don't
> think the roman cohorts and maniples could really stand up to the
> macedonian phalanx in a classic stand up fight (that is, relying on
> heavy infantry)

Which, of course, was the whole point of the exercise. The Romans won in the end, which is as good an indicator as there you could expect out there. One does not play to one's opponent's *strength* if
possible...

> -Adept
>
> PS. I don't know if this is the right list, but there's definite
> Gloranthan questions hidden there.

Mmm. Moderately deeply hidden, though? Nick's comment about magic was pretty good about magic being one of the Lunar's keys to victory.

(Amongst our many weapons are Fear and Chaos and a fanatical..) Oops!
Wrong list.

> obviously the famous Yelmalian Templar phalanxes (only troop that
get's
> the defensive bonus in "Dragon Pass"). I wish I knew more about
persian
> warfare for inspiration on the empire.

Martin L has posted a detailed bibliography of ancient military texts on Wesley's website. There is a lot of chewy goodness on Persian, Byzantine and other tactics. Some of the books are even readily available....

Hope this is of use.

Jeff