Re: Cooperative spellcasting.

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 19:18:47 -0000

> > wounded, etc)
>
> Does somebody remember in which book the relevant rules and
quidelines
> are to be found? The advanced magic chapter?
>
> -Adept

Advanced Magic in the HW core rules. That will give you the ritual information and the 'casting modified magic' information. The Basic Magic section has the muliple target modifiers and the like.

Ritual magic can be done by the appropriate folks -- you might consider the following modest example:

Gunnar The Sly, priest of Orlanth Thunderous with Combat Affinty 8w decides to help out his people before the evil Black Oaks attack. They know the battle will be in a few hours so he does an Arming of Orlanth ritual to enhance his Clouds/Rain magic affinity for the duration of the battle.

They do well with the ritual and he gains a +15 (see advanced magic in the main rules as he probably has a chunk of the clan doing support here as he leads them in prayer) to his Clouds/Rain affinity (now 3w2 -- he's pumped. He invokes his Hate Black Oaks trait and gains another +2 (5w2).

The ritual was done with the assitance of 8 god of Orlanth who have given themselves over to him in this magical battle (Extraordinary Support) for an additional +4 (I think) and four black bullocks are sacrificed to win the god's favor (+4 again). Total: 13w2

[Personal Note: I would have them augment him using their own personal
magics but that may not last long and could wear off with the battle -- when the get to the battle, the priests could always pump him up there -- acting as followers or adding Augments when the Foe is sighted.

At this point, Gunnar has at LEAST a 13w2 Clouds/Rain affinity to start punishing the naughty Black Oaks with Hail, Rain, Lightning, wet
cats, etc.

He'd have a higher one if the 100 members of the Fryd had given Total support (worshipped) (+8) and then the godi augmented with their powers (Assuming a 1w in THIER Rain or relevant affinities -- which can easily give a +2 each) for +16 -- and this is without bringing in short term feats. Total: 9w3 (I think)

With a 9w3, one can start doing some VERY nasty things with Hail...

... even if the battle is an extended contest between the warband leaders and the magicians, this could be brutal to Joe Stickpicker in teh opposing fyrd.

But at this level, we're looking at masses of troops and starting to approach the Dragon Pass scale of battle.

Hope this helps, though I think it probably confuses.

Jeff