Re: Clarifying Combat/Extended Contests

From: Sir Ethilrist <stefan.drawert_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:30:46 +0200

I try to give an example:
> > when it is an attack, and C1 or 2 are fighting with their CC-ability
> > against the trolls,
> > can the character use this for the missile attack, too? IIRC, the
examples
> > in the rule book only feature contest in which all participants use the
> > same sort of ability, there's no "I discuss with the carls, while
dodging
> > the spit attacks of the eurmali".

Roderick answers:
> I'm not sure if I understand the question.
>
> Each round T5 can either attack C1 or 2 (or both by splitting his attack,
> see page 140, Attacking multiple targets), or use his bow skill to lend
AP
> as we were discussing, or any other neat thing you can think of to use a
bow
> (shoot the rope holding up the chandelier...).
>
> Every turn you get one Action (on your AP count), and as many "reactions"
as
> there are people attacking you. Your action can be anything - attack your
> opponent, do an enhancing feat, dig through your saddlebags to find a new
> weapon, heal someone, etc. Your reactions are defensive moves responding
> your attacker(s), so are normally limited to combat, personality or magic
> rolls, depending on the attack (as opposed to "I defend myself by
looking
> in the saddlebag for a weapon").

okay by me. but my problem was / still is that a character in melee normally uses some combat related ability to attack and defend vs his opponent (like CC).
in my example there is suddenly an additional attack by missile. Can the attacked character still use his CC ability to "defend" against this attack, or does he get some (GM-given) penalty on CC, or must he change abilities (from CC to dodger / jumping &c..)? That's what I meant with "I discuss with the carls (*using "discuss"*), while dodging the spit attacks of the eurmali (*cannot reasonably roll against my discuss ability, so what must I do?*)"

still trying, stefan