Re: (nothing to do with) followers

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 04:30:03 -0000

> My only real trouble is that HW only allows one "profession", and
> several of these guys have had more than one. They go hunting with
> mum, and brewing beer with dad, or something. So that 12 or 13 got
> split, and I'm still very unsure how to do this.

I would use either the List Method or the 100 Word writeup and let them use the 10 other skills or the writeup to cover the things they learned as 'pick up' skills.

They show up at 13 according to the rulebook... Looks to be perfect for your needs. I wrote an example in the wrong letter, though -- oops.

> This is roughly what I have in mind. We'll see how fast they
develop
> due to play, and maybe say " a year passes... your skills all go up
> by
> 1" Or something. It's now 1598: I want to play through 1602, 1613,
> and
> 1625 with these characters.

That's a good way to do it. In 3-4 years you'd have them at the 17 level for their keyword skills. Perfect.

> By which time at least one of mine will have written the first five
> or
> six chapters of his autobiography.

Yep. Ain't it grand? I think I envy you. =)

> Not dreamed. Based on the HW rules and published scenarios, in so
far
> as there are any. But it's horribly unspecific about just what
> different numbers mean in terms of how good you really are. I'm
> trying
> to use the rules as written. Only they haven't been written.

I think that there's a set of guidlines which are at least vaguely useful under sample resistances -- p 119 of the HW rules. These at least give some idea of the professinal skills expected for various levels of society. 17 seems to be 'what you do for a living if you're a bloke' but 10w seems to be the typical professional level. Best in the Clan/Tribe seems to be 10w-10w2 or better.

Dunno if this helps but I hope it does.

Jeff