Re: Masteries

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 22:50:58 +0200

Benedict Adamson

> > The "inflation" i have been talking about (and sometimes at length)
>> is that ubiquitous masteries devalues the worth of a mastery. If
>> everyone and their dog can sport a mastery how cool is it to have one
> > yourself?
>
>Not cool at all. That's the point: to have a 'mastery' is to be
>competent at something. Why should having a 'W' written on your
>character sheet have to be 'cool' or 'awesome'? It is a game
>mechanic, nothing more. For your character to be 'cool' or 'awesome',
>your character must have W2 (does a 'cool' or 'awesome' critical
>practically all the time) or more.

Yes, i'm painfully aware that 1w sadly means nothing more than "competent" in HW as published.

Once upon a time the PCs were supposed to be extraordinary people (and i seem to recall that they are still spoken of as such in the published text). But now they aren't, judging by the numbers: every adult is in the 1-10w range in their chosen field. I.e. the characters are pretty run-of-the-mill.

One effect of Greg's mastery inflation and of having people commonly in the mastery range is that unopposed rolls lose their purpose. The worst that can happen is that you fail 1 in 20. Dramatic, eh?

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]