Ordinary & Not

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:50:40 +0200

Henrix
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Mikael Raaterova wrote:
>> Gloranthans are generalists. They can make most of the stuff they
>> need for survival themselves. Under ordinary circumstances a farmer
>> can make a usable plow or sew himself some clothes (unless that is a
>> sex-differentiated competence). These competencies are probably at
>> base chance, i.e. 6, in published HW.
>
>Or rather that that you use your Farming skill with an
>improvisational modifier
>to make a plough (or ard for the Orlanthi).

Yes, that would be the sensible thing to do.

> > So (assuming that listed numbers are for non-ordinary situations)
>> when you aren't unduly short of time or resources and the
>> circumstances aren't particularly adverse you should get at least +10
>> to your listed ratings. Meaning that a rating of 12 never fumbles
>> under ordinary circumstances, making the roll pretty unnecessary
>> since there is only a 5% risk of failure and 0% for fumble.
>
>But this is not how we generally do things in HW.

I am very well aware of that.

I was trying to point out that "1w = basic competence because professionals never fumble under ordinary circumstances" is a load of crock, since the mechanics are intended for non-ordinary circumstances and thus you should get a bonus when under ordinary circumstances.

>The rating for an ability is how you use it under normal circumstances.

Indeed, and since you normally do not roll when you have lots of time and resources* but rather when the situation is awkward, hurried and you are hanging upside down, that says what about "normal circumstances"?

>If the power level of the game upsets you, and you want the heroes
>to start out
>as more powerful, just let them start with higher ratings.

This merely shows that you aren't paying a lot of attention to what i'm writing and should refrain from making comments about stuff i have not said.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]