Re: Lending APs with arrows

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:09:33 +0100

>Narrator: "The stone skinned, nearly invulnerable
>gargoyle? You'll have a hard time even distracting
>it, I'll call it a -5 modifier."

I think this is really abuse of the AP lending mechanic. Look at it this way - the player has decided not to attack it directly - why? a) the gargoyle has a much higher ability than the archer, or b) it has a much higher armour rating than the arrow's edge. So, the player is trying to bend the rules in order to bypass the barriers that the rules system has put in place. Only if the character's actions make more sense in terms of AP lending than in a direct attack should it be allowed. If the mega-armoured super-bad-guy has less well armoured followers, who are just adding to his APs, then the archer could reasonably say that the rules system is unfairly protecting the opposition from archery. As there is no mechanism provided for attacking someone's followers (is there? I don't think so), the lending APs mechanism could be allowed. But in other instances where the archer is clearly attacking the bad guy in the normal fashion, then a normal attack is the way to resolve it. Remember, if it's well-timed, it gives the opposition a -3 multiple attackers penalty, if they don't have enough followers to counter it.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.