Re: edge; Argrath

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:12:04 -0700

Richard wrote

>Some people prefer their HW without any form of edges. Some people,
>including me, like the extra level of possibilities they bring.
>
>In this case, I would say that a Sureshot feat would be likely to give a
>bonus (more chance of doing good than harm), a Flamearrow feat would
>probably be an edge (more chance of doing something dramatic, for better
>or worse).

I'm not one of them (I don't think it's worth using weapon ranks to compute edges, because edges are slow and thus shouldn't be used routinely). I do think that different feats suggest different sorts of enhancements, as in your examples. Anything related to strength would give an edge in my game.

Philip wrote

>It is said (in KOS, I think) of Argrath that at one
>point he used the powers of his left hand, which he had never used before.
>Does this mean that he had never use his left hand before? But surely it
>would have withered away through lack of use? Not necessarily so, heroes
>routinely ignore this kind of logic. (Hero Wars doesn't help with this one,
>because it implies that Argrath has been spending double HP cost for a long
>time building up a power that he never used.

My guess is that this is a power he gained via heroquest. You can gain a fairly large target number ability via heroquest (though in my experience, heroquests take a lot of HP to complete!).

In other words, Hero Wars models it perfectly.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein