Re: Olympic numbers

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 08:01:07 -0000

I think this is related to the 'mundane/magic/ debate, in that Gloranthans reach high skills with a mixture of skill and magic. On earth, the olympians have only mundane abilities (unless you count the various unusual substances used for augmentation). So there is really no objective way to compare. Personally, I wouldn't put any RW skills over W2 (20W2 would be phenomenal). Plus, the olympics, for all it's skill requirements, is about the performance on the day (or days), so a lucky roll of 1, or unlucky 20, could skew the results.

> Superhero + magic + followers No equivalent on earth?
> Superhero + magic/followers "
> Superhero "

Definitely agree here.

> Hero + magic + followers Mult. gold olympian on
drugs?
> Hero + magic/followers Multiple gold
olympian?
> Hero Olympic finals quality?

Where do you put a 'Hero'? If you mean W3+, I'd say this is above olympian still, although just achievable by a RW human, they would be unique and unbeatable, even more so than your comparison.

> (anything missing here?)

This is where I'd start with RW comparisons.

> Tribal champion + magic + followers best in very good country?
> Tribal champion + magic/followers

And this would be my area to put medal winners. The best in a very good country, after all, is where the winners come from. Like Aussie Triatheletes... oops...

> Tribal champion top 5 in avg/good country?
> Clan champion + magic + followers
> Clan champion + magic/followers
> Clan champion
> Clan member

Generally agreed on the low end.

> Also, do you think the following are sort of equivalent as well:
> - superhero vs. hero + magic + followers?

The magic would have to be very heavy, that's a mastery or more of difference!

Wulf