Re: Re: Olympic numbers

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:01:48 +1000

Paul Andrew King wrote:
> >You probably could go for ridiculously long throws using the range
> >modifiers, otherwise I'd use it as a bonus-providing augmentation.
>
> Given that the point of the feat is long throws I'd go for extending
> the base range of the javelin as the usual effect. It says in the
> rules that magic can do this and IMHO augmenting is a poor match - it
> helps short range throws and is poor at helping long range throws.
>
> The easiest way to do it, I think, is to do a Simple contest of the
> Affinity or Feat against the magical range table for the actual range
> to the target. A minor victory perhaps means making the throw at
> long range, a major victory making it at normal range. A minor
> defeat might let the javelin reach, but ineffectively and a major
> defeat making the throw embarrassingly short.
>
> Anyone see any problems with that ?

So, if I'm understanding this, there is *no* real general agreement of what Mile Javelin Throw does, what it's effects are, who can use it _usefully_ (clan champion vs clan member), or how to interpret it? Bl**dy h$ll...

I must admit, I thought it was
clear from the rules (my weird interpretations of HW obviously) - we take the keywords and apply them. Mile Javelin Throw leaves *no* room for misinterpretation - the person throws a Javelin for 1 mile (I'll assume land miles and not nautical :-) Now, if you have this at, say, 17, surely this is the chance of using the feat, then you would check your javelin combat ability to see effect (all simple contests assumed here)?

If it meant just extra range, it should be called Long Range Javelin or Increasing Range Javelin Throw!

Please be gentle, I have RQ rules at 80% but HW rules at only 8 - a long way from (one) mastery!

Robert