Subject: Re: Re: Olympic numbers

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:51:45 +0100

>So, if I'm understanding this, there is *no* real general agreement
>of what Mile Javelin Throw does, what it's effects are, who can use it
>_usefully_ (clan champion vs clan member), or how to interpret it?
>Bl**dy h$ll...

I think it safe to say that narrators vary in their interpretations. Most narrators seem to agree that a feat can be used in a number narrowly or broadly related ways.

Throw javelin a mile, increase range of javelin in combat, increase effectiveness of long range javelin in combat.

>I must admit, I thought it was
>clear from the rules (my weird interpretations of HW obviously) - we
>take the keywords and apply them. Mile Javelin Throw leaves *no* room
>for misinterpretation - the person throws a Javelin for 1 mile (I'll
>assume land miles and not nautical :-) Now, if you have this at, say,
>17, surely this is the chance of using the feat, then you would check
>your javelin combat ability to see effect (all simple contests assumed
>here)?

I think that's a perfectly valid interpretation, but too narrow for my tastes.

>If it meant just extra range, it should be called Long Range Javelin or
>Increasing Range Javelin Throw!

That sounds terrible,though. I'm in the "a little more feat description would be nice camp", but I'd hate to see all the poetry disappear from the feat names.

>Please be gentle, I have RQ rules at 80% but HW rules at only 8 - a long
>way from (one) mastery!
>
>Robert

I have run several sessions now, so I'm getting quite good at using the rules (which is quite different from knowing them). I've erred on the side of letting people use feats pretty liberally. The other day I even let my Lhankor Mhy lawspeaker do a close combat augment using his "Law" feat "Force Truth". The situation: one player was acting as champion in a legal dispute. He used Force Truth to augment her close combat ability on the grounds that PC was acting for the innocent party and her victory would force the truth of the legal issue.

My advice is to forget the "what does this feat do" line of thought and focus on the "what is the character trying to do?, "is it appropriate?" and "how can I implement it?".

If the intent is ranged combat injury I'd argue that a ranged combat augment is probably the way to go. If range per se is the goal I'd probably use the advanced magic resistance table. For a combination of both I'd probably replace the target resistance (if lower) with the advanced magic range resistance and not reduce the target number due to range.

Thom