From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:14:21 +0100

> From: "Sarah Newton" <sarah.newton_at_...>
>
>A couple of things occurred to me whilst pondering the HW rules
>t'other day. They're questions derived from the ole RQ-Glorantha, so
>pls forgive me in advance.
>
>Does anyone have any opinions about the availability of healing magic
>in HW? Our campaign now (finally!) has an initiate of Bevara to
>provide urgent attention - but this is feeling a little like the old
>D&D character classes, which kind of feels different from the way
>we've traditionally played Glorantha.
>
>Previous characters (in RQ, yes!) have had Healing Battle Magic even
>when initiates of Humakt or Orlanth or whatever - and now according
>to the rules I can't see that this is the case. Any thoughts?

I'd not let Humakti normally acquire healing magic in Hero Wars (but see below), but I think the Arroin cult still teaches Humakti mundane healing skills if they want to learn them. I think most access to healing magic should be through associated healer cults.

>Secondly, Associate Cults - do they still exist? Frex, Chalana Arroy
>providing Healing Trance (or whatever, I forget!) to Orlanth, or
>Orlanth providing Telekinesis (RQ again, sorry) to Issaries, were
>useful developments of the cults. Now we seem to have the idea of

I would let characters learn stand-alone feats from associated cults/subcults. You can also learn affinities, but I'd apply the 10% time rule. Note that unless justified in play all these will acquire an unrelated HP cost.

I'd probably rule that associated cults always work through a hero, subcult or aspect of the main cult. So a Vingan learning an Odaylan feat (as happened in my game recently) is technically a worshipper of the Vinga the Huntress subcult.

>the Pantheon, where as far as I can see you can attempt to improvise
>Feats belonging to deities you're not even initiated to. How far
>does this go (the Rules show a Humakti calling upon Urox when the
>house collapses on him, frex) - or am I missing something?

That's an example of the divine intervention rules I think.

Thom