Re: Availability of Healing; improvising

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:53:42 -0700

Sarah asked

> Does anyone have any opinions about the availability of healing magic
> in HW? Our campaign now (finally!) has an initiate of Bevara to
> provide urgent attention - but this is feeling a little like the old
> D&D character classes, which kind of feels different from the way
> we've traditionally played Glorantha.

It's clearly very common, so common that it doesn't even get mentioned. Why else do most people walk away from battles unharmed? They don't, but the routine patching up is never detailed by the game. Even in RQ, most characters didn't have *lots* of healing magic.

You can always include in your character description "She learned Bevara's healing magic" and write down an affinity.

Steve

> However creating new feats isn't really a spur of the moment thing.
> It should be part of character creation as I view it as central to
> the game. I'm happy for players to spring new feats on me if they've
> thought about how they fit into the game but not just to solve their
> current problems.
>
> Feats are part of the social and mythological background of
> Glorantha. I think they should be pretty much standard across a
> clan/city/etc but should probably vary with region. Yelm worshippers
> in Prax (maker of deserts?) would have a very different relationship
> to the sun than in Dara Happa (provider of warmth?).

True. But we're looking at the few exceptional individuals, heroes who do have the imagination and ability to improvise feats. IMO you're being more restrictive than the game rules call for.

It is plausible that the Lunars don't improvise as often as the Heortlings, but a higher improvisation penalty might see to that.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein