Re: feats; keywords

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:35:21 -0700

Stef asked

> But then why let some feats be grody, like flying? Why not let
> them augment jumping ability?

But flying can be used to augment jumping. And if you were trying to escape someone, you could use it to augment running or whatever ability you were using to escape with.

> if feats are re-enactments of past heroic deeds....
> ...then how can you improvise one?

Because there are so many past heroic deeds. The deeds are probably well known to your character and to other Gloranthans, even if they haven't been written down in the rules, and even if your character doesn't know all the details of the past deeds.

(I'm not convinced that's what feats are, but I don't think it matters.)

Steve

> Feats are hideously powerful!
>
> On the whole in my game they are used with a simple skill check
> against magic resistance, that makes them very powerful.

That's certainly not the normal way the game assumes feats are used. In our games, they're almost always resisted by someone. For example, the Eytries Detect Ambush feat isn't a simple "did you detect it?" -- it would be resisted by the ability of the person setting the ambush.

Tim

> > This is clearly a beginner because of the lack of
> > keywords, which are a handy way to get a bunch of useful abilities
> > in just a few words
>
> Like
>
> a &#92;&#92;RATHORI// by birth he was made a &#92;&#92;SLAVE// by the &#92;&#92;LUNARS//.
> Impressed by his &#92;Strength/ and &#92;ferocity/ they trained him as a
> &#92;&#92;DART WARRIOR//. Escaping his bondage he joined the &#92;&#92;WOLF
> PIRATES// of &#92;&#92;YGGS ISLAND// where he soon rose to be a &#92;&#92;PIRATE
> CHIEF//...
Sounds good to me -- it's not like a plethora of keywords is what makes Harrek so nasty.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein