Re: My take on Ranged Combat

From: steven mathers <stevenmathers_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 02:22:12 -0000

Im a newbie, so take that into consideration. If I was using ranged combat as an extended contest...First of all, I reckon that no character takes anything other minor shrug-offable wounds until they get to -ve APs Your humakti pin cushion example is off base in that respect. If the Humakti is taken to -ve, then how negative is indicitive of how badly shot he gets. 2nd of all, I wouldnt bother counting yardage the way you do. Basically, the arhcers APs are yardage...the lower that value gets, the closer the humakti gets to taking him out with his sword. If the humakti bets big, he is making a concerted rush (making him an easier target, but getting closer to the shooter), if he bets small, he is creeping slowly, using available
cover, but has less chance of being shot up. Likewise if the archer bets big, he is standing there shooting, not retreating in front of the humaktis advance, or if he bets small, he is probably shooting the
odd passing shot as he scoots back to try to keep the range constant. I can see that, it makes sense. Actually what I might do is give the shooter an edge if there is little cover, or a penalty if there is lots. What else I might do is say that the Humakti has reached melee range at half the shooters AP, at which time the shooter can switch to
close combat ability with his remaining APs. Or an alternative is simply to say that if the humakti has reached melee range with APs left in the tank, then restart the contest with both combatents using their close combat abilities and APs. Its one of those tricky grey areas. Thats why I think simple contests might be better in certain situations.

stef