Turn Blow Against Wielder

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:22:15 -0000

I've been looking at the Xiola Umbar priestess in The Flying Trollkins on http://www.glorantha.com/hw/scenario_flyingtrollkin.html, and I'm a bit puzzled as to how the "Turn Blow Against Wielder" feat might work. I guess it can be used to augment Close Combat, or, presumably any other feat which the XU priestess wants to use to defend against Close Combat (Intimidate Patient? - Not only is she not afraid of him, but everytime he hits her, it hurts him too - The only tricky bit is identifing the Vingan Warrior, using her antitroll  magic as a "patient"...)

Should it/could it be used to actually reflect damage back at the Priestesses attacker? Tricky if it's only an AP loss, (which is where the Augment comes in anyway) - but if the foe trades 7AP for a wound, or does 15+ for a greivous wound, should they (also) feel the effect? (from memory the RQ Runespell equivalent didn't prevent the XU taking damage, but the attacker took the same damage as well).

The other feats are easier

Capture Attention of foe - The priestess takes an unrelated action to use this feat. Any foe who wishes to attack any of the priestesses allies must beat the "Capture attention of Foe" in a simple contest, using whatever ability they can persuade the GM is appropriate!

Defend Group - The priestess can use this ability to give a defensive edge to a number of allies in a single use - (This may require a ritual of some sort, with with the allies who are to benefit taking part. Alternatively, if it can be cast once combat has started, you could augment it with Capture Attention of Foe)

Shield of Darkness - Augments Defence. Provides protection against "light" feats, and if used to protect Trollkin, protects against the effects of sunlight. Could also be used to resist attempts to find/see the Priestess in a dark/dimly lit area (I'd allow it to augment Xoroho's "Move Silently" ability if she were sneaking up on adventurers invading the Fling Trollkin's lair, for instance...