Re: Re: Yet more animism questions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:16:54 +0100

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 21:45:41 +0100, "Graham Robinson" <gjrobinson_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

>The way I look at this is that the shaman and anything else with a physical
>body in the middle world, is effectively a little island of the middle world
>wandering in the spirit world. Although the spirit is back in the spirit
>world, it is inside another world, and so is still bound by that other
>world's laws.

This I agree with, but it opens up one new question: what about the Fetch? Is that contained within the shaman, embodied within her? I thought the point was it was a separate, though linked, spirit (it can, for example, negate a multiple attacker penalty in spirit combat). Does it appear as a visible, separate entity?

>Having said that, the boundary is now thinner, so they may appear more like
>themselves - Roderick's comment about eyes is one I will be nicking in the
>future.

Yes, I liked that too, that was the sort of image I was thinking of. The more 'complete' a spirit is, the more individual it should look, so a skill spirit would be a vague suggestion of it's power, an Earth Spirit would be a visibly cohesive lump, while a bear spirit would look like a bear.

>They also are more powerful in their world, so there should be some
>(GM specified) chance of a spirit breaking loose - especially if a shaman
>actually attempts to use it. Magic should never be a guarantee, and animism
>should be more risky than most, in my opinion.

Depends what you mean by more powerful, they don't get the Alien World modifier, that was discussed lately. But yes, they might well feel the call of their homeworld more strongly. Naturally, however, spirits bound by agreement rather than force would be safer to use.

There is a point to this sudden spark of interest, by the way, my Spirit Talker on Saturday prevented a Broo shaman from pulling any more disease spirits out of the spirit world by charging at him through his active circle... Not entirely sane, but possibly heroic, and certainly in character.

Wulf