Re: Welease Woderick!.On page 141 of narrator's book....

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:45:00 -0700

Do you know *how many times* I've had to put up with that bit of Monty Python?

> On page 141 of the narrator's book there is a description of a
> feat 'Confuse Target'.
> I quote:
>
> "Zhorada circles the target, muttering and shuffling her feet,
> seeming to be in several places at once. Damage applies to mental
> abilities, which a confused target must test to change foes, move,
> take unrelated actions, and so on. As an augmentation, minor
> confusions eat away the target's confidence."
>
> I'm really warming to HW, by the way so these aren't criticisms. If
> you are defeated by someone casting this feat aren't you out of the
> fight for the rest of the scene?

If you are defeated by anything you're generally out of the fight.

If so doesn't that mean that you
> don't actually get to change foes, take unrelated actions, etc?. If
> the author actually means by 'damage' 'hurt' then aren't the effects
> above pretty powerful in comparison to -1 on all skills?.

If you use the "7ap for -1" rules, then the -1 is specifically against mental abilities, not Close Combat & other physical abilities like a "normal" wound would do.

If you *want* to add compexity (not that I would), then you might give the target a "Befuddled" trait equal to the AP he has lost. Everytime he tries to change actions he has to *fail* an ability test against "Befuddled". This adds complexity in the middle of a fight, but if you really, really want to do it, no-one is going to stop you.

Is this
> feat an unrelated action even though it is used in anger?. If so how
> many rounds would it take to cast?.

It's not an unrelated action, it is Z's action for the round. The "damage" to the target depends on how many AP are bid, just like your every-day "I hit him with my sword". It's *not* all-or-nothing. If he hits 0 AP from this feat, then he's just too confused to do anything, and stands there dumb. He isn't physically injured from it in any way.

Are there circumstances when
> being knocked down to less than 0APs doesn't actually knock you out
> of the fight? If so what would the victim's APs be?.

The only way to stay in a fight after hitting 0 AP are to be a Berserk or mindless fighting creature like a skeleton, getting healed by a buddy (AP loan), or to perform a final action that gets you AP enough to go above 0.

RR