Re: Digest Number 292

From: Graham Robinson <gjrobinson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:52:08 +0100

Wulf wrote :

> This opens another question: is the shaman's fetch embodied within
> her? Or does it have a (visible) separate existance when in the
> spirit world?

I would say it is normally embodied in the Shaman, but can manifest seperately as required. A fetch is a powerful tool, and given I feel other bound spirits are more dangerous to use in the spirit realm, I am inclined to be as nice as possible over the fetch. I also like the dramatic possibilities.

> Yes, that was just what I was thinking about. I'd say the nearer
> complete a spirit is, the more individual it gets, a skill spirit is
> just a vague suggestion of it's nature, an earth spirit is clearly
> visible, but amorphous, a bear spirit is clearly bear-like.

Agreed, to an extent. I would say that an earth spirit should be clearly earthy - but perhaps that what you meant...

> Well, depends what you mean by more powerful. They don't get the
> Alien World modifier (as recently discussed here), but the call of
> home would, I agree, be stronger.

Maybe I've missed something but aren't all spirits at +20 on their 'normal' stats in the spirit world? Or does this not apply to bound spirits?

>However, spirits bound by agreement
> rather than force would be less of a problem.

Very true - and a good reason for a shaman to rely on tradition spirits, and others he has bargained with, rather than those he has captured. Even then, many spirits would be tempted to re-negotiate, having seen home.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson