Simple vs Extended

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:41:23 +0100

>I find that running feats in an all-or-nothing matter
>creates climax-interruptus when villans or heroes are
>dropped willy nilly.

I agree, I use simple contests only where the outcome of the scenario doesn't depend on the die roll. If you succeed, you haven't utterly defeated the enemy, and if you lose, you haven't been killed. If you're fighting, the loser is driven off with a wound and may not feature in the scenario again.

In "Chasing Kites", I did "tempt the raven with shiny thing" as a simple contest, likewise "catch the loose kite". Neither of these were crucial, there is always some way of recovering from a failure, so there's no problem. In fact, in the entire scenario we did no extended contests.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.