Gloranthan Illusions

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:19:56 -0400

> Agreed it will not be dismissed by disbelief, but it's falsity can be
detected.

Still no. In Glorantha, an 'illusion' is temporary reality. It is -not- false.

It can however be dispelled.

What may be important is realising that an object has been created by illusion. I once had an illusory bridge which was created by Phantom Touch (so you could walk on it) and Phantom Sight (so you could see where to walk). But the spells didn't cover quite the same area, so the unwary could fall through a hole in the bridge.

There is a problem in the RQ3 sorcery rules, though. Phantom Touch should logically create the sensation of a solid object, but it is also used to allow illusions to do damage. There ought to be a separate 'Substance' effect, while Phantom Touch could be used for effects like making a target feel that there are insects crawling on his skin.

I'd want a similar distinction in any HW illusion abilities.

In My Glorantha, an illusion (however produced) that can damage an opponent by hitting it is also subject to suffering physical damage.

Andrew