Re: Donandar's Illusions

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 19:55:54 +0200

Wulf Corbett :

> The Illusion affinity consists of the Feats: Create Sound, Create
> Form, Create Movement.

Far too RuneQuesty IMO ; not that I ever liked the RQ Illusion rules in the first place ...

> My immediate thought was that a single 'casting' of illusion magic
> ought to cover more than one sense, if it's good enough.

Why go half way ? Illusions are temporary reality, so all senses can be affected : depending on the nature of the illusion.

> Possibly the
> affinity, rather than having separate feats, could have modifiers
> according to how many senses it's intended to affect.

I think that an illusion should be an indirect bid : you bid X AP, creating an X strength illusion that can act for you (perhaps instantly). Your own APs always go down by X ; but your illusion can (if appropriate) act in a contest with a skill of X.

> You could then develop a new feat for a specific, favoured, illusion.

I agree with this. The Illusion Affinity (or : IllusionS) should be your bag of tricks, and each Feat a specific illusion that you like.

> Modifiers
> should also be imposed for size and complexity of illusion,
> especially movement or articulate sound. Resistance should be
> modified according to the sense used - Uz darksense would count as
> both sound & touch, so a vision/sound illusion would not be as
> convincing.

Too RuneQuesty IMO.

Julian Lord