Re: Illusions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 22:41:02 +0100

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:35:12 -0400, Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com> wrote:

>This from a certain Mr Stafford:

Hmm... like many things from Mr Stafford, this requires a little translation... see if anyone agrees with me:

>>Can a caster create an illusion which will appear real to someone using
>>senses the caster doesn't have? for example, a human creating an illusion
>>which will appear real to Darksense.
>OK, you seem to be making the first error here, which is to mistake the
>word "illusion" (an artifact usage) which menas something that doesn't
>exist; for Glamour, itself usually badly translated as "illusion." *sigh*
>Glamour creates a temporary reality. It doesn't make something which isn't
>there.

OK, so as I understand it, 'Illusion' should mean an insubstantial image which cannot directly affect the world, while Glamour is a magically created thing that is fully substantial, if temporary...

>If he wanted to make somethign that was visible but
>insubstantial he would use a specific type of Glamour, like Vision Glamour.

...er... or maybe the other way around?

>But the pictures would have to be there.

Huh? I think maybe what he's meaning is just that the WORD illusion is semantically incorrect, as Gloranthan illusions are 'real' to all senses. But he'll use the word illusion to fit the theme.

>Gloranthan illusions would depend upon what they were to see whether they
>require control or not.
>If you made an illusory owl and crw they cold just fly away, pounce on
>mice, etc.
>If you wanted to MAKE it do something you'd have to control it with you
>attention.

OK, so make an illusory tiger, and it's got a tiger's instincts, but can be controlled by it's creator.

>If you wanted to make somethig that was unnatural (like a vison without
>apparant substance) then it would also require control to "leep it real."

OK there too.

This, I admit, does not fit with my illusion system, but isn't completely incompatible. It just means that 'my' illusions can be of incomplete things (with only a couple of abilities), but otherwise I think it's OK. I still think creating specific abilities is less open to power-abuse than manipulating whole sensory inputs (like Illusory Vision), but I'll gladly try anyone else's ideas.

Wulf