Re: armor values in non-combat

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:21:10 +0100

>>What about a well made iron greatsword? ^7?

>Not mundane, but would presumably be ^8.

Thinking about edges and ranks, remember that they don't just apply to combat. For instance, intimmidating an uz or an elf should be made easier by waving a large pointy piece of iron at them. If that's done as an extended contest, then the rank of the item could be used. The "roll under edge for a bump" house rule (I can't remember whose it is) could be used if a simple contest is chosen.

Another point to bear in mind is that a weapon rank isn't just "how much damage it does", it should represent "how much of an advantage it gives in combat". If an item tips the balance of loss vs gain in your favour, it should have a rank.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.