Sorcery Question

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:21:50 +0100

I've been looking at Sorcery, particularly Liturgists, and have a question

HW p192 "Blessings & Curses require the extraordinary support of the liturgists congregation, and are not affected by the normal multiple target modifiers"

Ibid. "The Congregation lends extraordinary support, and the modifiers for holy days and sacred places apply ... Curses are resisted by the best resistance of the target, with the appropriate multiple target modifiers"

My best guess at the moment is that the multiple target does not apply to Blessings, but does apply to curses - bearing in mind that the narrator could always treat 'an army' or 'a village' as a single entity

We can use the information given in the section on the Black Horse Troop to look at an example of a blessing in action...

We are told a Bishop typically has a Lead Prayer of at least 10W, and that the Muse Roost Cathedral counts as a Sanctuary (+20). Black Riders are divided into squadrons of 500 riders or 1000 infantry. Since the Horses are intelligent, we'll call it a congregation of 1000 either way - Exceptional support from 1000 people is +25.

This gives us a total of 15W3 vs the world resistance of 14

This should give us 5% of a ^8 bonus, 25% of ^4 and 65% of ^2

Of course we may want to extend the duration of the blessing beyond the current contest (if we are being blessed in the cathedral, we might want the benefit when we are out on patrol)

Extending a Week is a +20 resistance for Sorcery, 15W3 vs 14W 4.75% of ^8, 24% of ^4 and 63% of ^2

Extending a season is +40, 15W3 vs 14W2
3.75% of ^8, 19.75% of ^4, 54% of ^2

Because of the way the masteries interact, we only need to get another +6 to return to the previous line - this could come from an auspicious day, bonuses for Ritual Items, or an augmentation to the Lead Prayer from the Junior Liturgist

Another peculiarity of the Mastery Interaction is to extend the duration for a single day (+10) 15W3 vs 4W gives
4.75% of ^8, 71.5 of ^4 and 18% of ^2.

One final point - There is no penalty for failing in a blessing, unlike attempting to augment from an affinity or feat

17 Lead Prayer vs 14 world resistance
.25% ^8, 5.25% ^4, 23.75% ^2, 19.75% ^1

17 feat vs 15 resistance (going for ^6)
5.25% ^12, 43% ^6, 43% ^-6, 4.5% ^-12

--

| Tim Ellis EMail tim_at_... |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations? |