Subject: Re: items in narrative

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:48:29 +0100

> From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
>> [Me] Unrelated: A hero wants a magic burning rock. Before going on an
>>adventure
>> he prays to Elmal. Later that day finds such a magic rock.
>>
>> The latter is technically "during play" but still unrelated.
>
> Although he could pray to Elmal, roll for Divine Intervention, succeed,
>get the rock, and then cement it between sessions at related cost,
>couldn't he? I think that if there is some sort of contest (and there
>could be one for the meeting with the warrior to be peaceful) then it's
>always 'related'. (skill checks anyone?)

Not necessarily. I still might rule against it (see below). This is a borderline case, though.

> OTOH one could say that it also has to be related to the story, rather
>than just the session. This would be a way to keep the players moving
>along (though not necessarily along the path the narrator had intended).

By session, I meant sort of meant story. The session for me is the story (or mixture of stories) that emerges when you add narrator and players together. If the desire for the magic rock was sparked by some (possibly minor) story element that would be fine.

Thom

BTW I've discovered I have a heretical interpretation of the hero point rule "1 point at the starty of each session". I give 1 HP per player every session of play rather than every completed adventure/scenario whatever. This was initially a misunderstanding of the rules, but I liked the effect so kepy it. One nice effect is that players always have at least 1 HP at the start of an evening's play - so can afford to be heroic and take a few risks.