Re: Re: Animist Question

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:25:17 -0400

At 01:25 AM 10/14/2000 +1300, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>>On the opposite side, if they're at might 10 when called to the
>>circle, surely they don't rise to might 30 when bound! Mutually
>>exclusive views, I'd say.
>
>They don't because they are still bound within the mundane world.

I don't agree with this part of your post. The shaman opens a way into the spirit world and enters it to deal with (bind, bargain, whatever) the spirit. Therefore the spirit is bound in the Spirit World. IIRC, Roderick's comment referred to spirits bound in fetishes not being affected by the alien world modifier in other Other Sides (the God Plane, etc.). Roderick?

In HW:RiG p. 202 shamans "go to the Spirit Plane and capture spirits ...", on p. 208 the section on Spirit World Travel clearly states that shamans cross over to the Spirit Plane to interact with spirits, and on p. 207 Cast Out of Body is listed as a way (and an exception) for shamans to interact with spirits without crossing over to the Spirit Plane.

Thanks,
Andy