Re: animists

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:32:58 -0800

Wulf

> >p.209 does say that 1-use fetishes can't be improved. However, it
> >does imply that permanent fetishes can be improved.
>
> Hmm... am I right in thinking you base this on the wording, saying
> spirits in fetishes cannot improve in might THEN, afterwards, listing
> the features of permanent integration (without listing the same
> limitation? Or am I missing more solid reasoning? Or, of course, are
> you thinking about talents gained from integration into the
> character's own body?

"This is the same as integrating a spirit ... but the spirit may be forced to integrate with a fetish." And integrated spirits (talents) may be increased.

> >As for the limited selection, a tribesman's 5 fetish slots can at
> >least change between adventures.
>
> True, I hadn't thought of that, I was assuming the fetishes were
> constant, but there's no need to do so. Presumably they all have to
> come from within the supplying shaman's known traditions, but the
> boundaries of the traditions are up to the narrator.

I think switching from one Stallion spirit to another should be no problem. And even switching from a Battle Spirit to a Bravery Spirit ought to be routine.

Andrew Dawson

> Grazer Herders are noted on p. 108 as being unable to integrate
> spirits, implying that Grazer Warriors and above may be able to even though
> they don't have Spirit Combat.

Grazer Warriors do have Spirit Combat because the occupation keyword implies the magical keyword Jardan the Warrior, which lists the ability.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein