Re: Jumping over trees

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:33:26 +0100

Robin Laws, he comments:
>Wherever possible, in my own games, I'd want magical Burst
>of Speed to operate identically to Sprint.
>
>Where they'd diverge is in attempting things that are impossible
>in our world. The normal human sprinting speed is limited at
>some point. If the speed of magical sprinting is capped at all,
>it's probably at a higher number.

I think we had some sort of consensus or at least minority agreement a while back that, in Glorantha, mundane Sprint has ceased to be mundane and become magical when the rating indicates that you should be able to perform impossible sprinting attempts, and that you have started to become an incarnation/ avatar/ whatever of that power.

>I'm not sure if this answers the question at hand. In my
>games, the difficulty of an action that can be undertaken either
>by magic or by mundane means remains the same, no matter how
>the hero comes by his ability.

While it warms my heart to hear i'm not alone in my interpretation, it doesn't answer anything, since it's up to Issaries to decide the relationship between mundane and magical abilities (which i think they should, since us Narrators need some common ground in discussing HW). Considering that Issaries seems loath to ever make such a decision we will be left in a quagmire of uncertainty on what the intention is/was.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]