Re: Re: Leaping over trees

From: Michael Hitchens <m.hitchens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:26:54 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, James Turner wrote:

> Wulf:
> > HW magic is simply cheapened and trivialised by being just another
> way
> > to do the same things.
>
> Exactly.
> I want magic to mean something, none of this "you jump 10 feet higher"
> business.
> When HW first come out many people moaned about the power shift but in some
> peoples hw games the reverse is true when it comes to magic.
> In the RQ days when you were facing a humakti sword you knew he could do
> death magic. The guy could actually kill you with magic (sever spirit), all
> his combat magic actually made a real difference to his abilities (shield +
> truesword etc, etc).
> Compared to:
> Orlanthi 1: "Here comes that bugger Orloff. Beware of him for he has pledged
> devotion to Humakt and learnt his feats of striking true and destroying
> shields and weapons."
> Orlanthi 2: "Hah, I have 2 seasons more combat experience than him. I can
> take him."

Remember a devotee isn't a rune lord, so Orloff isn't a sword of Humakt. The Humakti's got more combat related feats than a (say) Orlanth Adventurous, so a couple of seasons more HP may not save the Orlanthi. But even if it does, think in terms of RQ - a Humakti initiate with lower skills never had any guarantees vs. an Orlanthi initiate.

Michael