Re: Re: Strength of the Bull

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:42:41 +0000 (GMT)

> To my interpretation, Feats are precise, but not all should be
> interpreted with the same rules. 'Leap over Trees' lets you leap over
> trees, resistance 14. Anything other than trees gets an Improv Mod.
> Deadly Javelin Throw, however, does NOT let you kill a target with
> only resistance 14, it uses the usual resistance for the usual damage.

I really do not like this. Sometimes feat names are literal, sometimes they are just colourful names. The rules don't tell us which, yet we have occassional pronouncements from on high on this list as to which ones are which. From a rules point of view this makes no sense - the rules don't specify that 'Leap over trees' magical and 'Leap over trees' mundane have different resistances - both are against the 'default' 14, or an approriate other resistance, if specified.

Part of the problem seems to be that magical effects are resisted by a magical resistance, which trees don't normally have. I, and I suspect a lot of others, use a house rule that allows mundane abilities to be used where such are appropriate. Trees therefore should be allowed to resist 'Leap over trees' with their 'Tall' in such games. I certainly will play that way.

My reason for doing so is I don't see the sharp division of 'magic' and 'mundane' presented in the rules as being reflected in Glorantha itself. To many Gloranthans, reading and writing is magical, and almost all regard double entry book keeping as such. (Or at least those few who have had contact with it.) Is Harrek's combat ability mundane or magical? When he's going through your army like a scythe through wheat does it matter?

Basically, any ability with two or three masteries is at least partly magical to my mind.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net