subject: Re: role-playing

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:53:46 +0000

> From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_...-csf.com>
>This is a very good summary of the main difference between HW and most
>roleplaying games, by the way, something that might need to appear in bold
>at the start of the HW books : HW basically reverses the standard thought
>process, making it anti-analytical.
>
>While I agree that it is a good source of a story (and one which I've been
>doing for years playing Amber), is is something pretty difficult to
>understand for most people, and especially long-time "classical"
>roleplayers like myself.

I'm not sure about the "most". I've always preferred to referee games which tended to be more like Amber and Hero Wars - I think it may be an improvisational style I am more comfortable with. I think the big difference may be that the improvisation in Hero Wars extends more deeply into the rule mechanics (e.g., into the choice of which mechanic to use, how to quantify actions and how to interpret them).

Thom