Re: surprise

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:30:59 +0000

> From: "Gareth Martin" <gamartin_at_...>
>
>I have just spent last night looking for rules for surprise and ambushes
>woihtout success. Are the y missing or am I just stoopid?
>
>The issue here is, what happens when one side starts a contest that the
>other side does not even know they are in?
  1. the surprisers decide the contest type and area
  2. the defenders may be limited in their choice of defensive ability
  3. improvisation modifiers would be appropriate

You might rule that surprised people lose their first action (though that might be a bit harsh).

Being able to select the contest is quite a big thing. For example, I might let people attack with a simple contest and rule that the defender can only dodge or parry (-3). Defeat for the attacker should then not result in wounding or injury and would just initiate a normal extended contest.

Thom