Re: Re: Iron

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 10:59:54 +1300

Jeff Kyer:

>Yes. It is. but we don't know the reason why Iron disrupts magic.
>Just that it does.

         Entropy [i.e. wot dwarves call Death] is the dissipation of
         vital material processes into Energy.  As a result of this
         loss the animated body becomes broken and inert fit only for
         rendering at the vats.  The change is irreversible rendering
         normal work processes [that turns raw energy into Machine
         Components] ineffective.  The Ancient Minerals forged Iron
         to recapture this lost energy and contain it.
                         Glorantha: Intro p64.

Unenchanted Iron acts as a magic trap for this purpose. Enchanted Iron, I suppose, has this feature turned off so that it becomes harder and holds an edge better.

One could also posit that Enchanted Iron is really Iron thoroughly saturated with lost souls and other magical energies, and that the absorbed energies make it harder and help it hold an edge better.

--Peter Metcalfe