Followers (was Re: Digest Number 397)

From: Dave Bell <bellplace_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 19:10:31 -0000

[snipped]
> I would agree fully with the above idea, actually PLAYING Followers
> occasionally does wonders for them

A contentious but hugely entertaining suggestion made in a mag (sorry but I can't remember the mag or author) for Pendragon was to have the players play each others' squires.

At first we suffered silliness and sabotage but as soon as players settled down (and realised that any monkey business could be repayed back on them twofold) the roleplaying came out and we had a great time. The squires, whose stat was essentially just their age, came alive and were capable of holding conversations with their knights.

I know most players are entirely capable of talking to themselves but it's not the same.

In HW I could see this being used for allies, patrons etc. but followers may be different, unless people wanted to designate a particular follower as a sidekick. Additionally not all heroes will have followers - my Lunars haven't caught on to this yet.

I'd like to try this one in HW at some point and I'd be interested if anyone else has done it and how it worked out.

Dave