Re: Re: followers

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:35:10 -0800

> If I recall, Allies are the equivalent of the Heroes and stay that way
> -- just as patrons and villians will keep the same 'threat level' as
> time in the capmaign passes.

Correct. Followers stay behind the hero, allies & adversaries stay relatively equal, patrons stay ahead of the heroes. Note that you can spend HP to change a "supporting character's" status (HW 34), so your Patron (Dad) can become a Dependent after his arms were chopped off by the Raging Broo, or your Follower can become an Ally (or heck, even a Patron - you didn't realize that your stickpicking follower was Argrath, did you?).

A note on Allies & Adversaries - they stay "relatively" within the Hero's range of ability, which means that when they show up one time, they may be better than the hero, but the next time they might not be as good. (HW 33)

I have no problem with players wanting to add complexity to their followers. As written, Followers are simply spear carriers, servants or faceless people. If you want to spend your precious HP on a follower, go ahead!

> I think Roderick posted a bit of an essay on this some weeks back.
> I'll go look for it...

I may have, but I don't really have the time to look for it, and it was *probably* off the top of my head, rather than ex cathedra.

> Yes, the followers increase automatically -- this gives the player one
> less thing to worry about/ And the narrator too. =)

Precisely why it was done that way.

RR