Re: Character design Qs

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:06:24 +0000

> From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>Shopkeepers and scholarly dons have always been at a disadvantage in combat
>;-) (yes, I know about briatin scornfully called the "nation of
>shopkeepers"). On the other hand, they have strengths that Orlanth, Humakt
>or Urox simply can't match -it's just not in combat, it's in wealth,
>intellligence gathering and power-mongering!

Agree, but see below.

>> On the other hand, am I putting too much stress on combat and
>> overlooking the importance of Communication and Travel affinities?
>
>Issaries and LM are two cults that shouldn't be fighting (Chalan Arroy is
>another :-) ). they are exempt from fyrd duty, no-one expects them to be any
>good (though they still have their cultural 13 at close combat, remember).
>Even travelling merchants are expected to hire roughneck body- and
>caravan-guards, rather than doing it *all* themselves. And it's easy enough
>to boost your close combat by using one of your 1w or 5w at character
>creation time.

Our LM lawspeaker started with 1W CC and for a while was the most deadly fighter (in raw CC) in the band. His reputation as a fighter is also very high because he gets lucky whenever he bids over 30, and because he accidentally one a boasting contest when feasting with the Varmandi.

In fact he turns out to be quite a balanced character - he has excellent CC, but can't augment it easily, but also very good investigative powers. When we have had warrior in the group (at the start and now that new players have joined) the warriors have similar CC but got the edge largely via magic keywords (either Humakti geas or Orlanthi augments). This seems as it should be.

Thom