Re: Shameless plug and rule variant

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:44:13 +0000

>http://web.syr.edu/~gamcvey/Dawn.htm
>
>Although it's not mentioned on the page, we've also changed the rules for
>spending HP slightly. We've done away with cementing benefits, and
>replaced it with a rule that lets the players spend a Hero Point to declare
>a person or thing "significant to the plot." If they meet someone or find
>something they find interesting, even if we hadn't intended it to be, they
>can use a point to call it to our attention and make us work the character
>or item into our later plots. Goodness knows how it will work out -- our
>group is a fairly cautious one, and they haven't spent any of their HP yet
>(for fear that they'll need them all in some tense scene).
>
>-Geoffrey

I'll take a look some time.

FYI I thought of two HP rule variants that may be of interest ...

For cautious players (who never spend HP for bumps):

"Any HP spent for a bump in heroic circumstances automatically generates a BP (bump point) only usable for bumps."

For profligate players (who always spend HP for bumps):

"Any HP spent for a bump ring-fences one HP which may only be used for advancement. You need 2 HPs in your pool before you can spend one on a bump."

These aren't playtested, but might be useful.

Thom