Re: Re: What to do with a dentist

From: Geoffrey McVey <magpie_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 11:47:26 -0500

At 02:18 PM 2/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
> > Now all we have to do is figure out how to write plots for a group
> consisting of a
> > lady-in-waiting, a bodyguard, and... a dentist.
> >
>Sounds like a perfect groups to use another concept talked about in
>the hero wars book, supporting an NPC leader character.

This is actually the direction we've gone -- the three characters have been sent to protect and educate their lord's illegitimate son (whose existence came as something of a surprise to the lord's family). The dentist is, technically, a fully-trained physician, but he put his best skill into "knowledge of teeth" and has just gone from there. We're writing plots as if he were a physician, but we still have to nudge his player from time to time and remind him that he *can* diagnose illnesses that don't involve teeth. :)

In any case -- we liked the set-up with the characters in the service of this young (teen-aged) bastard noble, because it gives them a sense of direction without having them overshadowed by a more powerful NPC: he's definitely someone who needs protecting.

-G.