Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 16:54:02 -0000

Charles Corrigan wrote:
> Help!

I'll try my best.

> However, Wulf Corbett, who is my best tester, disagrees and
> believes that, at least in some cases, the opponent's edge should
> be included in the calculation.

Danger Will Robinson, danger, danger. Someone should really make sure this is clear in the FAQ. This debate raged for a while.

IIRC Roderick was clarifying what the rules say as written: the edge or handicap (in combat: modify by the difference of my weapon rank and his armor rank) is applied to the AP lost by my opponent.

Some suggested that they would modify this rule to include the difference of all edges in the exchange including my weapon vs his armor and my armor vs his weapon (there might have been weapon vs. weapon in there as well), because they felt that an exchange represented a jostling for position in which both sides' edges could come into play.

AFAIK the rules stand as quoted by Roderick, any other interpretation is a house rule. Could you have an option to enable the user to choose? I don;t know how popular this variation is, but ther were a few adherents at the time. You might want an option for include/exclude weapon ranks as well I guess.

Hope I helped. I fear that I have restarted the Holy War ;(

Ian