Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:10:27 -0000

Michael Schwartz wrote:
<Let's say the stake is 5, and Kallai succeeds where the weaponthane
fails. If we plug this into the formula above, we get (5 + (3 - 3)) > x 2 = (5 + 0) x 2 = 10 APs forfeit by the weaponthane.>

OK

<If we reverse the places, so Kallai fails where the weaponthane
succeeds, and use the same stake, we now get (5 + (4 - 5)) x 2 =(5 - 1) x 2 = 8 APs forfeit by Kallai. Quite simple, really.>

I understand your logic but from my earlier post the stated official position is:

<<Joe the Actor has a Rank 5 greatsword, Jim the Opponent has Rank 3
armor. Joe bids 5 AP. If Joe wins his bid is calculated as 7 AP (5 AP bid, plus (5-3= ^2) from weapon ranks). Jim will lose 7, 14 or 21 AP, on on a 1x, 2x or 3x result. If Joe loses his bid is calculated as 5 AP (bid only, the ranks are ignored). Joe will lose 5, 10 or 15 AP.>>

So by this edges get ignored when figuring how much the bidder looses.So in your example if Kallai is bidding he only looses 5. His armor rank will only come into play when he is not the bidder.

in other words it is

(APB + (WWR - LAR)) x ECM = AFT [for a victory]

but

APB x ECM = AFT [for a defeat]

<The latter would make an excellent house-rule for those Narrators
with a soft heart for their heroes... >

For clarity:

Including the bidder's armor rank/defensive edges or non-bidders weapon rank/offensive edges when figuring AP the bidder inflicts/transfers is a house rule.
Using any edge calculation to modify the bidder's loss is a house rule.

That is not to say you might not like them or be able to argue a case for them to be better than what is printed, and want to use them in your game. You should do what works for you, and it looks like Charles is planning on including the popular ones. But they are, AFAIK from Roderick's post, house rules.

Ian