Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: wulfc_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:48:57 -0000

> > Given that we agree that you can gain an 'edge' by augmenting a
> > defensive Ability (like Armour Of Woad, say), this would be
> > effective even when you lose an exchange, surely?
>
> If it makes it clearer, then think of any defensive augmentation of
> this nature as giving a handicap to anyone who has to overcome it
> affect you. It thus only becomes effective when *they* win the
> exchange...

Thanks, and agreed. Actually, it's perfectly clear, and always has been - UNTIL someone explains it using different terminology to mine:)

As I said before, the sole source of confusion is the variable use of the word 'edge' to mean both an augmentation on an Ability AND the overall balance between actor & opponent in a contest.

Wulf