RE: Re: LOT5R conversion

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:18:42 -0000

> One idea that I've been toying with for other HW-based games is to
> have the idea of Attributes being broad skill categories. In L5R,
> for example, "Doji Kenjutsu" would be Skill in one's Fire Ring,
> while "Acting obsequious" would be under one's Water Ring.

Yeah, I toyed with this idea too, and I'm still sympathetic to it. What makes me concerned is that it kinda reverts HW to an "attribute set" system, which worries me. This is what I meant initially by organising keywords by Ring rather than under "personality", "physical skills" etc.

I am worried, however, that disputes will arise as to which Ring a trait should appear under, or which ring is relevant to its current use.

> Furthermore, each Ring would also have a rating, that would be
> difficult to raise. The Ring rating could do something like:
> 1) Determine the highest skill within the Ring
> 2) Was equivalent to the highest skill within the Ring.
> 3) Determine how many AP's any Ring-based skill used in extended
> contests

Thats quite a cunning idea. It means, though, that the skill used does not contribute to the AP's (except through manouvers... hmmm). It maps to the use of Rings in LOT5R very well...

> 4) Could act as a pool of points, similar to HP or AP

I thought of recording Hero Points as "element points" - starts at 1 point per element, can only be spent on bumps in that element. Void points can be used to bump anything.

Fortunately, the systemic use of Void points in LOT5R - free raise - maps quite well to the HW Bump. This also has the virtue that fewer of the existing school techniques (notably for Phoenix) need to be rewritten.

> 5) Could be used as an automatic Augment or Edge.

Yeeeees... I'll think about that.

Aagin, thanks for all responses to this only-midly-relevant thread